What Is It?
A dental cleaning (often called a ‘scale and clean’) is an appointment during which your dentist will remove plaque, tartar and superficial stains from your teeth. This not only improves the appearance of the teeth: the removal of tartar helps your teeth and gums to be healthier.
What Is Important To Know About Dental Cleaning?
- Dental plaque is a film of bacteria which builds up on your teeth every day;
- If plaque is not removed from teeth, it can quickly calcify into a hard, gradually thickening layer of tartar. Tartar can trap plaque and food particles against your teeth and gums- this can lead to gingivitis (bleeding gums) and tooth decay;&
- The purpose of a dental cleaning appointment is to remove plaque and tartar, polish teeth to remove superficial stains and to make it easier to keep teeth plaque-free at home.
More Information About Dental Cleaning
- Plaque is a soft, thin layer of bacteria that builds up on teeth: this layer is easily removed by effective brushing and flossing;
- When plaque has been left undisturbed for as little as only 48 hours, it can transform into tartar. It becomes calcified and is difficult or impossible to remove by normal brushing and flossing. Tartar is also called ‘calculus’;
- If tartar is allowed to build up on your teeth and gums, it will harbour plaque bacteria, which will irritate gums (causing gingivitis) and potentially causing decay in nearby teeth;
- Your dentist typically uses an ultrasonic scaler to remove any tartar buildup: this instrument vibrates at high frequency and shatters the tartar without harming tooth enamel;
- Your dentist may then use small instruments called ‘scalers’ to remove any remaining tartar particles from the teeth and gum line;
Plaque and superficial stains are removed using polishing paste on a polishing hand piece, which is very similar to an electric toothbrush;&
- Sometimes your dentist will apply fluoride to the freshly-cleaned teeth: this helps the enamel to harden and become more resistant to decay.
Dental Cleaning DAD’S CLINIC
Many people enjoy the ‘just cleaned by the dentist’ feeling, where teeth feel smooth and fresh. Our dentists use a combination of cleaning techniques to remove plaque, tartar and stains from teeth to make them clean and promote good dental health. Your dentist will also help you to maintain clean teeth at home by showing you the most effective ways to brush and floss your teeth. If you need a good dentist in City for a professional dental clean, contact DADS CLINIC Dental today.